Isleki – Meat Pie
This is a typical Turkmen recipe. In ancient times this pie was baked in the hot sand and made with mutton meat and bread dough. Nowadays the recipe contains more onion and tomatoes.
500 grams of Mutton
50 grams of Lard
2 teaspoons of Table salt
1/4 teaspoon of Black pepper, ground
360 milliliters of Water
2 tablespoons of Olive oil
500 grams of White wheat all-purpose flour
10 grams of Butter
1. Chop onion and mutton meat. Add lard, salt, pepper and water. Mix well.
2. For the dough: in a bowl mix all ingredients needed (1 tbs of salt, 300 ml warm water, 2 tbs of oil, flour) in order to obtain a soft dough.
3. Divide the dough into 2 large round pieces. Grease with butter a baking pan, roll out the dough and lay it in the pan.
4. Fill with meat mixture and lay over a piece of rolled dough. Pinch together the edges of the dough.
5. Brush the top with water
6. Bake at 200°C for 25/30 minutes, on the middle rack of the oven, until browned. Serve the pie as you can see in the picture: cut the first lay of dough staring from the center and slice.