Hortobágyi palacsinta: Hungarian Pancakes with Meat Sauce
Pörkölt (meat stew)
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup onions, diced
250 gms – ½ lb. ground veal (or chicken)
150 gms tinned tomatoes, diced
1 pinch caraway seeds
1 tbsp parsley, chopped
½ cup water
¼ cup sour cream
2 tsp paprika
Salt & Pepper to taste
½ cup flour
½ cup milk
Sauce from the pörkölt
½ cup sour cream
⅛ cup flour
1. Put the extra virgin olive oil and the chopped onions in a frying pan and sauté them until translucent.
2. Add the meat and sauté it until brown. Make sure to break up any lumps with a wooden spoon.
3. Add the tomatoes and water and stir well. Now stir in the paprika, caraway seeds and parsley. Cook for a few minutes, until the sauce thickens.
4. Add ¼ cup of sour cream to the meat sauce and stir to combine.
5. Sieve the meat sauce and let the pörkölt sauce collect in a bowl. Keep it aside.
6. In the meantime, make the crêpes. Put the eggs, flour and milk in a bowl and whisk with a balloon whisk until you get a smooth batter.
7. Take a non stick frying pan and put it on the fire. When hot add ¼ tsp of oil and a ladle of batter by swirling the pan so the batter coats the base of the pan. You want to make the coating thin (about 1.5 mm – 0.06 inch thick). When the surface of the crêpe dries up, it is time to flip it over. Do so by using a plastic spatula to loosen its sides first and then flip it over. Cook it for a minute more, then remove it from the pan and keep it aside. Repeat this till your batter is over.
8. Divide the meat between the crêpes and fold them up like burritos. Spray an oven proof dish with cooking spray or oil and place the filled crêpes in it. Keep it aside.
9. Combine the pörkölt sauce with ⅛ cup of flour and ½ a cup of sour cream and whisk until smooth. Pour the sauce over the crêpes and bake in a preheated oven at 175°C – 350°F for 15 minutes.
10. Serve your hortobágyi palacsinta with a dollop of sour cream and a green salad on the side.
Recipe adapted from Zsuzsa is in the Kitchen